Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Puree of Cauliflower Soup




As the sun gets stronger, yet spring still weeks away, I'm having a last ditch fling at winter soups. This has become a favorite.

Puree of Cauliflower Soup
1 large head cauliflower, diced coarsely
2 large or 3 medium onions, diced
1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 32 oz container chicken stock
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder
Big pinch cayenne pepper
Big pinch cumin
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)

Saute apples and onions in the butter and olive oil 5-10 minutes until tender. stir in curry and add chopped cauliflower, chicken stock and water. Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes until cauliflower and apples are completely soft. Puree until smooth. Add cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and pepper to taste. If desired, stir in 2 tablespoons heavy cream to enrich. Garnish with additional diced apple, a swirl of creme fraiche, or seasoned fresh croutons.

2 comments:

NYCINNKEEPER said...

Damn, I'm hungry and I just ate.... mmmmm. I'll settle for that delicious sounding desert for one thing and perhaps one day you can make me the cauliflower soup and we'll have it chilled. 80's this coming weekend. Would be perfect.

Love your blog ref. design and content, and of course your recommended list of blog options -- a nice political round table for sure...

Steve Turtell said...

My favorite thing to do with cauliflower lately is roast the florets with EVO, garlic, salt and pepper--I like a lot of them really nicely browned. . I often end up eating the whole head in a day. But when I can restrain myself this is the basis for an equally delicious cauliflower hash that I eat at breakfast with an omelet.